Feel free to link back to my blog. You may also use my pictures as long as you give me credit. Please don't use pictures of my kids. They're all mine!



Monday, April 20, 2009

Free Motion Learning

I've seen all the free motion quilting on the blogs I've been visiting for the Bloggers' Quilt Festival put together by Amy (Park City Girl), so I was dying to try it. Obviously I didn't want to start out on a beautiful quilt top, what with the possibility of it being a total disaster, but I also didn't want to just make a sandwich to play on. I wanted to be able to use whatever it was. So I decided to try a bib that my baby boy can use! It has a top, batting, and a back, but I turned and topstitched it instead of binding it. I'm definitely going to need some more practice, although it looks just a bit better than I expected. I crossed over quilting lines in a few places, and went outside the topstitching at least once, but I don't hate it! I love this Michael Miller fish fabric too. I found it at a sewing shop around here that mainly does repairs. They also had two of the pink prints from the Flea Market Fancy collection, but I don't have pictures of them yet. Back to the bib!
Click on the pics if you want to critique up close!
Ill definitely need some more practice, but it's a little less scary now :)

3 comments:

  1. Good Job! Cute bib!I want to learn how to free motion quilt too, good idea to practice on something you can use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started free motion quilting, I made a bunch of sandwiches. I know you say you want to be able to use them, so when you're done, put binding around them and make pot holders!!! It was good practice since it was a mini version of what I was going to be working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous! I can't wait till I can practice...need a foot for my machine. The bib looks really good! And you always need a lot of them so you should have tons of pracitce!

    ReplyDelete